Adult Briefs: Incontinence Problems Don’t Have To Take Your Life AwayWhether you want to admit it or not, incontinence is a fact of life. It can happen to anyone at any age, although it is more common in older adults than young ones. It’s a fact of life that incontinence will happen to everyone. There should be no shame or stigma to it. You shouldn’t feel less confident in yourself for this need for adult diapers. Knowing that you are not alone is enough to make you feel more confident.
However, sometimes this knowledge isn’t enough to boost a person’s confidence in themselves for wearing adult diapers. What can you do to boost confidence in yourself or a loved one using them?
The most important way to boost confidence in yourself or any person wearing adult diapers is to acknowledge that incontinence is a medical condition that affects tens of millions of people every day. It happens for any number of reasons besides old age, including medical conditions and medicines.
Knowing you are not alone is enough to feel better about your situation. Granted, the topic will not casually be brought up around the dinner table or at parties. However, you can rest assured that someone in a crowd of people is likely feeling the same as you – embarrassed by the need to wear adult diapers.
The last thing to feel is embarrassed and acknowledge that it’s going to happen eventually.
4 Key Reasons Adult Briefs Can Be So BeneficialAdult briefs are ideal for any person. There are several key reasons to use them if you find yourself suffering from incontinence issues:
Adult diapers don’t compound the incontinence problem with other health problems that can result from taking prescription meds. They are entirely safe and can be worn discreetly.
Adult diapers can be beneficial to people who need assistance from a caregiver to put on and remove clothing. Adult brief manufacturers designed these diapers with tab fasteners, making tearing them at the sides easy.
Adult briefs are also better because their absorption level is far higher than pull-up diapers. This is certainly beneficial if you’re in public for long periods of time or are unable to move quickly.
They address the negative aspect of bowel movements and bladder issues and decrease possible embarrassing situations.
When it comes to incontinence issues, you don’t need to let shame and embarrassment from allowing you to enjoy life. When you start feeling anxious about the matter, remind yourself that millions of other people like yourself use them. You’ll feel freer when you grasp the concept that there are others like you.
What Should You Consider In Your Search For Adult IncontinenceWhen it comes to buying adult diapers, many factors go into a decision.
Pull-Up or Tab Closure DesignPull-ups are designed like regular underwear, where you pull them up. This design is ideal for people with no real mobility issues because taking off pants is necessary for putting them on.
Tab closure diapers are fastened at the sides, allowing the caregiver to place the diaper under the wearer and fastening the tabs to ensure they are secure. This design is geared toward people with limited mobility and doesn’t require removing pants entirely.
Size and FitAnother factor in an adult diaper purchase is the fit and size. Finding the right size and fit is imperative to avoid potential leaks. The wrong size and fit are worthless if it doesn’t stop leakages from occurring. There are several options: brands, colors, design, sizes, etc.
Regarding size and fit, tab-designed diapers are better because you adjust how they fit. Pull-ups are un-adjustable.
Adult Briefs vs. Adult Pull-UpsAdult Briefs
Every aspect of adult diapers was created to help with moderate to heavy bowel and urine continence. For instance, the packing is loaded with gel-forming polymer for the best possible absorbency. It comes with two or three tape closures on both sides. The back of it is fibrous, waterproof cloth or plastic material.
The most significant benefit of adult diapers is being able to use the bathroom or change underwear without removing your pants. A tab on both sides makes it easier to constantly open and close the adult brief. What are some other reasons to consider adult briefs?
- Better to use during the overnight hours for its higher absorbency capacity
- Ideal for severe incontinence problems
These are disposable one-piece, elastic leg and waistbands absorbent underwear designed to stop leaks from occurring. They look like regular underwear, with an inner absorbent pad and waterproof cloth backing. SAP-filled pull-ups can hold in a plethora of liquid while the wearer stays dry. What are some other reasons to consider adult pull-ups?
- Wear them like traditional underwear
- Not as nosy as other diapers
- Better for people with less serious incontinent issues
- Marketed more for people who can still take care of themselves
What Type Is Right For You and Your SituationManaging your adult incontinence doesn’t need to be debilitating, and you can still enjoy life to the fullest. And, if you’re a caregiver to someone with limited mobility and incontinence, you can make it easier for you to take care of them. The problem is that nobody seems willing to open the discussion of incontinence.
Still, manufacturers realize the importance of such products and have designed a line of adult tab and pull-up design diapers.
How To Find The Right Size Of Diapers For YouIf you’re wearing diapers that leak, it’s usually a sign of an ill-fitting product. The key to adult diapers is to absorb liquid and prevent leaks while also being discreetly worn. How can you find the right size diapers for you?
Get Precise Measurements
The most important way to get the right size diapers is to take measurements of your hips and waist (with some products needing a measurement of the thighs). Be sure to take these measurements and find the products that meet them.
- Waist Measurements – Many people get the wrong size diaper because they measure their pants size, not their waist. You want to avoid measuring the area where your pants sit, but ensure to measure your waist since this is where the diaper will rest.
- Hip Measurements – Get your hip measurements at the widest part to ensure a more precise measurement. If there are any gaps, it can lead to a messy leak.
- Thigh Measurements – Not every diaper requires this measurement, but you should still get it. This measurement is more for incontinence swimwear than anything but may be necessary if you have larger or smaller thighs than usually seen. For the thigh measurement, you measure the widest point while your leg is parallel to the ground. The key is to find a diaper that stays snug in the water.
You don’t need the most precise measurements, but getting them does help ensure the right diaper is purchased.
Level of Absorption
Every manufacturer’s absorption level will vary, with some more absorbent than others. When buying a diaper product, you will notice four absorbency levels:
- Light – Ideal for those with a little bit of leakage
- Moderate – Ideal for people who experience a heavier amount of leaks
- Heavy – Ideal for incontinence problems
- Overnight/Maximum – Ideal for overnight use because of their heavy-designed nature
Plastic and cloth are the two key kinds of backing material. Plastic diapers are much more absorbent than cloth ones but are not very comfortable to wear.
Many manufacturers have produced built-in odor protection diapers that will neutralize the smell of urine (its pH), which is usually very strong.
Daytime or Nighttime Use
Some diapers should only be worn during the day, and the more absorbent diapers are designed for overnight use because of little control over the bladder and bowels while sleeping. Bear in mind that the more absorbent the product, the more expensive it will be.
How To Find The Right Diaper AbsorbencyBuying adult diapers can be tricky and tedious with the different absorbency and sizes available. The best way to find the correct diaper is to test them out. For instance, you may find that you need moderate absorbent diapers over light ones. How can you know which absorbency levels you need?
- Light Absorbency – These are similar to regular underwear and are ideal for active individuals with minute bladder leaks. Many manufacturers have installed odor-eliminating technology and ensure a person’s comfort even after an accident. This absorbency level can be found in belted, brief or pull-up styles.
- Moderate Absorbency – This absorbency level is geared toward people who need more than a light level but don’t experience apparent leaks. They can also hold accidents, stay odor-free and ensure the wearer’s comfort.
- Heavy Absorbency – This level of absorbency is designed for people who experience severe incontinence or suffer from both bladder and bowel issues. They are designed to be worn for extended periods of time, holding up to eight hours’ worth of liquid.
- Overnight/Maximum Absorbency – These diapers are designed for overnight use where people have little control over their bladder and bowels. They can last up to 10 hours, ensuring the wearer stays comfortable all night. Many manufacturers have designed the diapers to hold a quart of liquid.
There is no need to suffer accidents from incontinence needlessly. With a bit of homework, taking your measurements and being cognizant of your needs, you can find the right size and fit adult diaper that will ensure you never suffer the embarrassment of leaks and smells.